LCCC Aging Adult Specialists in the Community Liaison program assist older adults and their families by locating local/state/federal services to enhance the ability of aging adults to maintain independence within the comfort of their own home. Our Aging Adult Specialists in the Community Liaison program are Certified Medicare & Medicaid Assistance Program (MMAP) counselors.

The Community Liaison Program connects individuals to resources, provides educational presentations and assists with paperwork and applications to meet social, emotional and/or physical needs such as…

  • Adult Day Care
  • Counseling
  • Homebound Meals & Food Supplies
  • Housing & Repairs
  • In-home Services
  • Legal Services
  • Long-term Care
  • Low Income Supports
  • Prescription Assistance
  • Social Security
  • Transportation
  • VA Assistance

LCCC Aging Adult Specialists also assist with:
• Homestead Property Tax and Home Heating Tax Credits forms
• Medicare Counseling and Enrollments
• Medicaid Applications
• Fraud and Abuse education and reporting

Medicare Part D Sign-upTo meet one of LCCC’s Medicare/Medicaid Assistance Program Certified Specialists, Melodie Valvano or Beth Newman in our Community Liaison Program, call 517-545-5944.  LCCC Hours of operation:  Monday – Thursday 9:00am to 5:00pm and Friday 9:00am to 4:00pm.

Turning 65 Soon?

Call Us Today to See How We Can Help!

Frequently Asked Questions:

  • I am going to be 65 soon, how do I get Medicare? If you are drawing a Social Security benefit your enrollment will be automatic and you should receive your Medicare card three months before your birthday.  If you are delaying your Social Security Benefit  and you want Medicare, you must initiate your enrollment.  You may enroll into Medicare by calling Social Security, going online to or going to a local Social Security office.  Your Initial enrollment period begins 3 months before the month of your 65th birthday and lasts for 3 months after the month of your 65th birthday.  Enroll before your birthday if you want coverage to begin right away.
  • When I turn 65, do I need Medicare Coverage? If you are not covered by a creditable Group Health Plan from current employment, yours or your spouse’s, you will want to enroll into Medicare to avoid penalties later.
  • I have retiree coverage through my past employer, do I need Medicare? Yes, Retiree coverage is secondary to Medicare once you are 65 and you may have a penalty if you delay enrolling into Medicare.
  • Does Medicare cover all of my medical? No, You will want to explore options to cover what Medicare does not cover. You may consider adding a Medigap policy or explore Medicare Advantage plans.
  • Am I covered for prescriptions under Medicare? Yes, if you enroll into Medicare Part D or an “Advantage” plan with drug coverage.
  • Will I still be able to use my red, white & blue Medicare card if I have an “Advantage” plan? No, you will be given a special card from your new insurance company.
  • I already have Medicaid, do I need Medicare when I turn 65?  Yes, Medicaid will be secondary to Medicare once you are 65.  Notify your DHHS specialist of your Medicare start date and request to be assessed for other Medicaid and the Medicare Savings Program.
  • What if I cannot afford the Medicare Premiums?  You may qualify to have the Medicare premium paid for you and for help with Prescription Drug costs.  Call MMAP or call LCCC for more information and assistance applying.

NOTE: If you do not qualify for Premium free Medicare Part A, call to explore your options.

Senior Centers in Livingston County:

Brighton v (810) 299-3817
Howell v (517) 545-0219
Hamburg v (810) 231-1000 x225
Fowlerville v (517) 223-3929
Gregory v (734) 498-2502 x230
Putman Twp. v (734) 878-1810
Pinckney v (810) 225-3758
Hartland v (810) 626-2135

For additional resources, visit our Aging Adult Resource page.